Friday, December 10, 2010

Murder. Just perfect.

You may find this hard to believe, but--sometimes the effort of feigning a "normal" household is exhausting.  Don't get me wrong--I have a pretty dandy life--my children are fun and funny, my husband is much kinder and better-looking than I, and buying groceries is very do-able within the parameters of our household income.  When shoveling the Thomas tracks back into the toy bin for the 75th million time starts to wear on my authentic and groovy "babeness", however, I look to a good murder mystery for inspiration.

Let me be specific.  I need a good mystery (murder is the juiciest, of course), with compelling and charismatic crime fighters.  Frankly, I don't like my criminals to be too sympathetic--this messes with my head.  I need some good writing, with a healthy, but unsentimental element of sexual intrigue.  The plot can't be TOO complex, or it's too much work to stay fun.  My current favorite:  John Sandford's Virgil Flowers series, an offshoot of Sandford's "Prey" series.  http://www.johnsandford.org/flow01.html  Read Dark of the Moon, and you'll want to solve crime with Virgil too.  In fact, you might think of a few other activities...he's a great outdoorsman and possesses mad skills. ;-)

So.  While my domestic life is actually some flavor of idyllic, for me, there really is nothing like a good, old-fashioned, "OH MY GOSH...THEY'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME...OH, OUR HERO IS DRIVING LIKE A MADMAN ON A MISSION FROM GOD..."story to occupy my mind while shoveling those Thomas tracks.


Plus, I think Sir Topham Hat has been up to mischief.  If we could crack the diesel engine conspiracy on the Island of Sodor, we could blow the Wikileaks thing off the map.


Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment